Monday, December 20, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

Last year my mom made a chicken and biscuit casserole using a leftover whole chicken. M and I really enjoyed it and Little Man enjoys it now. Since then I decided to figure out how far could I stretch one chicken and how many different meals could I come up with. We usually have a whole chicken leftover from Sunday dinner or we use a grocery store rotisserie chicken we bought when we're too lazy to cook. (In college I learned if you go late at night the chickens are only a dollar since they can't sell them the next day.) This worked really well for us being on a budget.

The Ingredients 
Leftover whole chicken carcass
Water
Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic chopped finely
1/4 Onion coarsely chopped
3 Carrots cut into disc
3 Celery stalks chopped
Spinach
1 TBS Oregano
1 TBS Thyme
1 TBS Whole Black Pepper Corn (didn't have a pepper mil so I crushed it using a can)
3 Bay Leaves
1 Pack Egg Noodles
2 cube Chicken Boullion
(this is just a rough guide I added a bit more of the ingredients here and there)

Directions
1) Put the leftover chicken carcass in a large stock pot and fill up with water until the carcass is covered. Boil for an hour to and hour and a half. Strain broth into a bowl and then pull apart the remaining chicken to set aside.
2) Saute the garlic and onions in olive and then add the cut up carrot and celery if you want. When the veggies start to get soft add them to your pot along with the broth and bring to a simmer.3) Add your chicken bouillon, bay leaves, oregano, pepper, thyme (any seasonings you see fit) and continue to let simmer. I let it simmer for 2 hours because I didn't cook my carrots or celery before hand.
4) When veggies are soft bring soup to a boil and add your noodles. The noodles will be cooked in about 5 minutes and your soup will be done.



I tried the soup right after the noodles finished and it tasted alright but something was missing. I didn't know what I wanted to add so I ran a few errands came back and tasted it again 3 hours later. It was soo good. I think the soup just needed to sit so the flavors could come together more. I bet it will taste even better the next day.

Also it would be so easy to throw all the ingredients in the crock pot/slow cooker and not worry about it. Just put the noodles in 15-20 minutes before you plan on serving. Our crock pot burns everything now so I decided to use the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment