Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Peas Please!

For the past month we’ve been introducing solids. I’ve decided to make my own baby food because 1) I want to know what is going into my child’s body, 2) most of the food we have on hand already because I eat tons of fruits and veggies already and 3) it’s cheaper.

We had a box of Gerber Organic Rice Cereal because the boy had bought it when Little Man was just 3 weeks old on the advice of a family member who said it will help LM sleep through the night but there was no way I was giving that to my newborn. Little Man’s Pedi said we could introduce cereal starting at 4 months but I held off on that until 5 months because LM seemed ready to eat then. I decided to try the cereal since the box was there but after mixing it up it smelled, looked, and tasted like paste (yes, I taste everything first). Who wants to eat paste? I know I don’t. LM enjoyed playing with it though. After the short-lived rice cereal we moved on to sweet potatoes, which were a huge success. LM absolutely loves them. He gets super greedy too I can’t fill up the spoon fast enough. Hopefully he feels the same way about the peas.


Making Peas

1) Select Peas (I used Organic Frozen Peas because I couldn't find any fresh ones that looked decent)

2) Prepare according to package directions

3) Place in Food Processor or Blender and puree until smooth (I used the Ninja Master Prep which I love)


Also save the excess water to add to your puree to get it smooth
4) Spoon into ice cube trays Cover w/ plastic wrap and freeze


The next day I pop out the individual portions and put them in freezer bags labeled freezer bags or freezer safe containers.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment